Jane loves assisting clients whether it’s in buying their first home or selling a long-held commercial building. Jane also recognizes the privilege of assisting a client in drafting an effective estate plan or assisting family members navigate the legal process after the death of a loved one. Jane operates a very personal practice, and strives to always keep in close contact with clients to assure they are comfortable with each step of the file.
Jane is a partner with Patterson whose practice primarily focuses on the preparation of Agreements of Purchase and Sale, Leases of real property, Migration of parcels to the Land Registry system, transactions of purchase and sale of real property, as well as general estate planning for individuals. Jane also assists real estate developers navigate the process of entering into Development Agreements with the planning departments of HRM, Truro and Colchester County. Jane is a registered user of the Land Registry System.
Jane has been the primary property lawyer for both the Municipality of the County of Colchester and the Town of Westville for several years. Jane is the Chair of the Real Property Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia Branch) and has presented to the Real Estate Lawyers Association of Nova Scotia (RELANS) and CBA Real Property Section on recent developments to the practice in Nova Scotia. Jane is an active member of her local community including as a Board Member of the Jane Norman College and as President of the Rotary Club of Truro.
Areas of Law
- Regularly assisting clients with real estate transactions, including drafting and reviewing agreements of purchase and sale, leases and other documents
- Assisting clients with residential and commercial financing, including preparing and reviewing mortgage documents
- Advising clients on estate planning and structuring of their real property to lessen taxes
- Assisting clients with estate administration
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Real Estate Law, 2020, 2021
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chair, Real Property Section, Canadian Bar Association, Nova Scotia Branch
- President, Rotary Club of Truro
- Board of Directors, Jane Norman College
- Past Board Member, Truro Farmers’ Market
- Past Vice Chair, Downtown Truro Partnership
- Past Board Member, Colchester United Way
- Pro Bono Student Canada member 2004-2006
- Dalhousie Law School Community Outreach chairperson – 2004 – 2007
- Dalhousie Law School Orientation Week Leader – 2005
- Dalhousie Legal Aid Clinic – 2006
- Co-founding member, Canadian Lawyers for International Human Rights, Dalhousie Chapter – 2005-2006
Jane has been a guest speaker to various real estate agencies on topics relating to real property. Jane also volunteers her time to speak at a variety of conferences, including the Municipality of the County of Colchester, the NSTU and the NSCCAU regarding estate planning and administration. Jane has also authored a number of articles for presentation at professional conferences and has been featured in our quarterly newsletter publication, “The Patterson Pulse”.
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 2008
- LL.B. (Dalhousie University) 2007
- B.Ed. (Acadia University, 2002)
- B.A. (Psychology)(Acadia University, 2000)