Legal Assistant Required - Corporate
Patterson Law is seeking a hard-working Legal Assistant to join our Halifax Corporate/Commercial/Tax Group. The initial duration of employment will be 18 months with possible extension or transition to other longer-term roles after that period.
Purpose: Reporting to the Office Manager, the Legal Assistant will provide legal & administrative support to designated lawyers.
Location: Downtown Halifax Office – 1801 Hollis Street
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 34.5 per week, 9:00-5:00 Monday to Friday. Some flexibility and occasional overtime will be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Support – Provide legal and administrative support to designated lawyers and general support for the Corporate/Commercial/Tax Group
- General Accountabilities - Direct liaison with client when appropriate; Liaising with external lawyers and others when appropriate; Scheduling and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; Coordination and editing of lawyers’ draft statements; Maintenance and submission of time as appropriate; Attend to lawyers’ monthly billing including review of unapplied time, billing statements, etc.; Attend to coordination and preparation of bulk mailings to clients and reporting documentation, when directed by the lawyers; Assist lawyers with non-firm activities (e.g. political, community, charitable, etc.)
- Mail - Open and date stamp mail, scan and save, and route to the appropriate lawyers; Preparation of signed letters for mailing and ensuring all enclosures are scanned and included
- Transcription – Completing dictations as required; Completing all word processing requirements
- Records Management - Filing, organization of files, and ongoing maintenance of files in accordance with group procedures; Closing of files, culling, shredding, preparation for filming/scanning; General housekeeping with regard to personal workstation and common areas within the office
- Telephone Communications - Messages; Arranging appointments, conference calls; Client inquiries; Client liaison ensuring calls are returned; Advising Reception of whereabouts
- Correspondence - Preparation of standard form letters; composing draft letters of a routine and more complex nature
- Documentation - Preparation of standard precedent documents; Familiarity with the Firm’s precedent indices; Drafting, editing, and proofreading documents of a routine and more complex nature
- Tending to third party deposits within walking distance of the office
- Other – Additional duties as assigned based on the Firm’s requirements
The successful candidate will train extensively with the incumbent Legal Assistant, who will provide ongoing mentorship as needed while assuming another role within the department. Along with this training and mentoring, the ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience as a Legal Assistant is ideal
- Knowledge & experience in the area of Corporate/Commercial law is desired
- Experience with real estate law is a definite asset
- Highly detailed-oriented and impeccably organized
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties involved including the lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
- Strong judgment with comfort to act independently and anticipate lawyers’ needs
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
- Strong keyboarding and transcription skills and an affinity to learn new technology
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The new Legal Assistant is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow, and Bridgewater and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 130 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary and group insurance coverage after one month of employment.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.