Family Law Assistant Required
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow and Halifax and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 130 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Family Law Legal Assistant at our downtown Halifax location, 1801 Hollis Street.
The Legal Assistant will provide legal & administrative support to the lawyers in the Halifax Litigation Group primarily in the area of Family Law.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Manage, coordinate and ensure the smooth flow of work in a family law practice, supporting two or more lawyers
- Effectively manage family clients' applications and intake, obtaining required information to complete draft affidavits, financial statements, and other required forms
- Prepare, draft and review correspondence and legal documents including pleadings, briefs, court orders, affidavits, separation agreements and legal memoranda; and other documents
- Maintain lawyer calendars including appointment scheduling, court dates and other matters
- Communicate with clients and opposing counsel
- General administrative duties including file and records management, transcription, scheduling and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; coordination of lawyers’ billing and following up re unpaid accounts
- Any other additional projects and tasks as required.
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- At least two (2) years’ experience in a law office, preferably in Family Law practice
- Understanding of various litigation and family law proceedings, including good working knowledge of legal terminology, legal research, Family Law Rules and court procedures
- Ability to work independently to take initiative, and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties involved including the lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Excellent typing and communication skills, including attention to detail and accuracy and capacity to work under pressure of deadlines and multiple competing priorities
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
If you are interested and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com
by Monday, June 24, 2019.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.